Weyakin Designs, Visual Creation by Victoria Chapman

Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Incredible Bat!

Lately, I've been making a few bat-themed products for my shop. I love bats, because I think they are both adorable and interesting creatures. Their shape also makes for an extra spooky, but fun way to dress things up. I know that a lot of people associate bats just with Halloween, but I love having them around all year-round.

Giant Golden-crown Flying Fox BatThe bat consists of about 1,100 different species, ranging in size from 2 grams to 1.2 kilograms. The largest bat is the Giant Golden-crowned Flying Fox, which hails from the Philippines. I love the Flying Fox because it really does look like a fox with wings (image courtesy of Wikipedia). Most bats (about 70%) eat insects, while the remaining bats eat mostly fruit.

The bats that we have here in Massachusetts are usually the "little brown myotis" and the "big brown bat". I often see little bats flying overhead at dusk across the open space in my front yard. I think they might be the little browns. I love watching as they quietly flap across, catching all the nasty mosquitoes. It's an interesting sight to see the silhouettes of 10 or so bats swooping across between the trees. This year, when the weather warms up, we plan to build some bat houses to encourage our little winged friends to hang around. Here are some instructions on how you can make your own bat house!

I hope you enjoyed this quick excursion about our little winged friends!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I love bats. Thanks for the great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I must say, I am not a fan of bats. I used to get a random one flying in the house back at my folks' place due to the mango tree that we have at our backyard.

    But I think it's a great project and I am sure you have fun making them! :)

    God Bless
    Alice
    http://piggylittleshop.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Piggy
    http://twitter.com/piggylittleshop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alice! We had a bat get into our living room once. It flew round and round in circles until it finally figured out how to get out the door. LOL. But, I love watching them when they are outside.

    I hope you have a great night! Thanks for dropping by. :-)

    ReplyDelete