Weyakin Designs, Visual Creation by Victoria Chapman

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fabulous Vegan Rum Cake!

Vegan Rum CakeA co-worker brought in a rum cake, which looked absolutely delicious, but was completely not vegan. So, once I received the recipe from her, I set out to make my own vegan version. You don't have to be a vegan to enjoy this recipe. It's also cholesterol free and tastes just as yummy as one that isn't!

I asked a friend what type of spiced rum would be good for making rum cake with. She recommended Sailor Jerry. So, here is Sailor Jerry's *fabulous* vegan rum cake...

Cake Ingredients:

- 1 cup of chopped/toasted pecans or walnuts (I used pecans)
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (it called for an 18.5oz box, but I used a 16.5oz box and it was fine... I know that Dr. Oteker's cake mix is vegan, so that's what I used)
- 1 box 4 serving vanilla pudding mix (it called for instant, but I used the cook kind and it still works fine... I also used Dr. Oteker's for this because I know it's vegan)
- 1 cup plain or vanilla soy yogurt (this replaces the 4 eggs)
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup cold soy or rice milk
- 1/2 cup dark spiced rum

Glaze Ingredients:

- 1/2 cup margarine (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark spiced rum

Pre-heat oven 325°F. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan. Put the pecans or walnuts evenly in the bottom of the pan. Mix all of the cake ingredients and blend for a couple of minutes. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan and after it cools, flip it upright onto a plate.

To make the glaze: Melt the margarine in a pan. Stir in the sugar and water and let it boil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour in the rum. It will bubble and steam, so be careful! Stir. Pour over the cake!

If the glaze seems kind of runny at first, if you let it cool down, it will solidify more. But, you can pour it over the cake while it is still runny and it can solidify on the cake too. I also noticed this make a TON of glaze, so you don't have to use it all.

Eat and enjoy!

1 comment: